Friday, June 5, 2009

100 Days

First - I feel I must apologize for my long absence - just know that is a separate post altogether.

This past Tuesday marked 100 days of a healthier lifestyle for me. Eating right, and trying to exercise. I have no idea the actual weight I have lost. We do not own a scale. And I have no plans in the future of purchasing one. I can say that in February I went to the doctor for a regular check up and was ashamed to even look at the scale. So I have no idea my starting weight. I will return to the doctor in August for another check up. I will wait until then for him to tell me how many pounds I have shed. 

I can,  however tell you how many inches I have lost. 2 pants sizes, 13 total inches.  That sounds a little deceptive. I measure 7 different places. Each arm, each thigh, chest, waist and hips. I am quiet pleased with my progress, although to some it seems slow. The way I see it - it took a long time for me to get that large, its going to take a long time to reach my goal. I am in it for the long haul! I have goal jeans I want to get into. Not there yet - but I am closer. I can see the difference and I feel better about myself. Lets face it - I feel better. PERIOD.

This is what I am doing. I eat breakfast every morning. ( I used to never have time for breakfast, then about 10,  I would be starving and heading for the vending machine.) Most days my breakfast consist of either oatmeal or cereal. I prefer to opt for the Great Value brand 100 calorie Maple and Brown sugar.

The only thing I drink is coffee and water. No sodas - or (gasp) no more Jones Root Beers. (THE BEST ROOT BEER MADE!!! still made with pure cane sugar!!!!)

Mid way to lunch, I have a snack. I try to limit my snacks to 100 calories or less. Grapes, strawberries - something natural. I have discovered that 12 baby carrots have only 35 calories - so when possible that is my choice. Those 100 calorie packs you buy are deceptive.  I have found I feel full and have less calories but munching on fresh veggies or fruit.

I eat a normal lunch - usually a sandwich or leftovers. I try to walk 2 miles as well. (I get an hour for lunch and at a fast pace I can average 2 miles in 35-40 minutes)

Between 2 and 3 I have another snack. 99.9% of the time I choose the 100 calorie packs of popcorn.  (I am a nibbler - as long as its there I will nibble on it!!) Lets face it - 100 calories of pop corn is a lot of popcorn! 

I eat a healthy supper, then exercise. I am using the "Barry's Boot Camp' video. It goes quickly and I really get a work out. Still  way to cheap to join a gym.

Although my results are not astronomical - I am making progress.  I do from time to time allow myself the occasional indulgence. If I want an ice cream I get an ice cream. I just try to limit my indulgences a habit! 

If anyone asks - I am not dieting, I am just living and heating healthy. So far its working. Sure there are times when I feel like I have reached a plateau and nothing is changing.... but I keep going. Its hard to get depressed about gaining a pound or two when I do not weight daily.  Its nice to pull something out of the closet that has not been worn in a while and not only does it fit - its actually loose! THATS motivation. 

I must warn you though - exercise can be habit forming. On the occasions that something comes up and prevents me from exercising I become quiet irritated. I feel like I am cheating myself! And in reality - I guess I am.

I feel better physically, and emotionally. Its really nice to hear someone say how nice I look. Especially when its my husband. I believe he is as proud or (if possible prouder) of me as I am myself. Not that I am skinny by any means. I am actually looking forward to going to the doctor next August. I want to hear him say I am in good shape rather that hear - you've gained a few pounds we need to increase your bp meds or start cholesterol meds... or that is due to the weight you are carrying. I am tired of looking at the height and weight charts and seeing I fall into the 'obese' category. Being only 5'1" a little extra weight makes a BIG difference. If I was 5'9" at my present weight I figure I would be OK. 

I don't care if I am not skinny (my mother used to say I had big bones! Like THAT made it all OK!) I just want - one day - some stranger to ask - how I manage to stay so trim! Its been a long time since I have heard that..... but i will again...... and trust me - I will keep you posted!

2 comments:

  1. I hope your 100 days are more productive than Obama's first 100 days. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can already assure you they are!!!

    ReplyDelete