Friday, May 29, 2009

Lost, Found and Returned

It was a wet and dreary day on Wednesday. Too wet and rainy to go to the park and walk (which is my usual lunch time routine during the work week).

Several of my friends invited me to join them at lunch, but 
I declined. Although I could not walk, I was still drawn to the park.

Upon my nearing, a dog came running up the road towards my car. I slowed and hoped it would move - which it did. As a matter of fact, it followed me to my normal parking space. (Being a creature of habit, I always try to park in the same location every day).

As I opened the door, she tried to get in the car - cold, hungry and soaked to the bone.  I was on the  phone with John, all the while petting her. I spied that her collar had a name and number on it. Instantly I was off the phone with John, and dialing the number on the collar.

As I explained who I was, where I was and the reason for calling. he sighed that familiar sigh of relief. He said it would take him about 30 minutes to get there and asked if she was alone. He went on to explain that he and a friend had been coon hunting the night before and gotten separated from the dogs, He had been searching for them since 8 am.

As I waited for him to arrive, I pet and played with her. Very friendly. A couple of men with whom I work came up. Actually, we do not work together, we simply work in the same building and speak when our paths cross.

They asked about the dog, and I explained the situation. They left, went back to the office, and returned with some food for her. She ate that pork chop and bone like she had not eaten in days!!

When the owner arrived, his gratitude for my calling was apparent, as well as my staying with the dog until he could get there. I explained the generosity of my coworkers, as well as as my pleasure in seeing her returned safely to her proper owners.

 My husband explained later that evening that for most people that use dogs for hunting, although not mistreated, they do not love on them or give them an over abundance of food. There purpose is to work and are rewarded accordingly. These are not pets, but hunting dogs. None the less, if that is the case, for a brief time she was loved on and fed, and seemed grateful for all she received.

No matter what, I am glad I was able to assist in returning her, and will think fondly of my adventure.

The only question that remains - was she the reason I was drawn to the park? Some outside force influencing my actions? Or was it simply a coincidence. I think not. I think it was meant for me to be there. At the right place, and the right time. For both of us.

Below are 2 pictures that I made with my cell phone. ( She is attempting to lick herself dry.)

2 comments:

  1. that is a great story!! You were meant to rescue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think so.... and the pictures turned out pretty good too - so all in all I am proud.

    ReplyDelete