Sunday, May 10, 2009

NASCAR Suspends Jeremy Mayfield

I shed no tears for NASCAR driver Jeremy Mayfield.

In my profile I made it clear that I am a NASCAR fan. John and I have a goal to visit each and every track.  Together we have been to Martinsville (VA) in 2008, and in 2009 we went to Bristol (TN). Separately, I have been to Daytona and Talledega, and John has been to Talledega and Atlanta..... we plan to go to those tracks together - but they others we will try to visit first.  

Last night's race in Darlington (SC) was somewhat over shadowed by the news that a driver and 2 crew members were suspended for failing the drug test. Here is my personal take on this: 

The banned drug that was found was not released.... but none the less - if it is banned - it is banned. And NASCAR has a reason for the ban.  When I started my job, there was a required drug test, as well as random drug tests given periodically. If you want to keep your job the answer is - don't do drugs. Jeremy knew there were drug tests.... and having a dream job like he did - he should have made sure beyond a shadow of a doubt that he would  pass.  When drug tests are given, a person is asked what type of prescriptions are being taken. After all - if it is prescribed by a doctor - its OK.

Rumors are running rampant on the web about the type of drug that was in his system.... 
'He mixed over the counter medication with prescriptions' , 'He had pain killers in his system' etc. All is simply speculation. The only fact that remains clear is that he failed the drug test and banned substances were found. Was he unaware of what substances are banned? I think not. He knew going in what he was taking... and if he had taken an allergy over the counter med along with a prescribed medication.... he should have said so when the test was given. Plain and simple.

Lives are at stake here. Not just his - but other drivers, crew members, media and fans. These guys are driving a car that weights 3400+ pounds ( Thats with all the fluids and a 200 pound driver ) and races (depending on the track) at nearly 200 mph. Would you want to fly in an airplane being piloted by someone who failed a drug test? I think not. I commend NASCAR on this suspension. In my book - they are the model other sports should adhere to. 

Why risk the dream.... the life.... this season - his average finish was 36th in 5 starts. His earning? $568,888. No small chunk of change. And.... I do hope for his fans benefit - that it was the combination of an over the counter medication and prescription medication that resulted in a failed test..... and not one of the many other illegal drugs that are plaguing our nation. But - a failed test IS a FAILED test.


No comments:

Post a Comment