Wednesday, May 6, 2009

To Sandra....

I have contemplated long and hard before beginning this post - taken notes, looked up definitions, and consulted my trusty Thesaurus. I have attempted a poem - to which I came up short. I am still hesitant as I type...... uncertain I will be able to convey my true feelings. This is my attempt to pay tribute to a dear friend - my sister in law Sandra.

The words that come to mind most often, when I think of Sandra is devotion, gratitude, respect, admiration, envy and love. And this is only naming a few. 

I would like to begin with a brief history of Sandra's life as well as the words that come to mind as I ponder those times.

When Sandra was 17, her beloved, Robbie, was sent to Vietnam. They chose no commitment, made no promises, to protect themselves, if the worse happened. While he was away, she remained DEVOTED, she knew that he was the one man whom she was meant to share her life with - and she was willing to wait for his return. (That alone says a lot about her character - how many 17 year old girls today can remain that devoted?) After his safe return, the wed and had 2 children. A daughter, Melissa, and a son, Shea.
In 1989, when she was 38 years old, her son of 14 years was killed in an accident.  I can not imagine the STRENGTH she has had all these years.... let alone the strength it took to make it through the days immediately following.
In 1994, when she was 43 years old, a tornado came through and totally destroyed the home she and Robbie had worked so long and hard for. Luckily, no one was hurt - but everything  - EVERYTHING was lost.
Not long after that, I met Sandra for the first time at the home of her parents.  Believe me when I say - the first time we met - I knew she was a very strong person - but I was also scared to death! The old saying "if looks could kill" was the type of look I received. But - you must understand - there  was a case of mistaken identity on her part. She thought that I was a friend of someone else..... one of those 'undesirable' friends..... not a friend of her brother's. Needless to say - at the time - I made a hasty retreat out the front door, and knew I never wanted any sort of confrontation with her.
In 1999, when she was 48 years old, Sandra was blessed with a grandson, Russell. The glimmer in her eyes when she speaks of or sees him says it all. 
In 2008, she was diagnosed with cancer. She has faced surgery and chemo with COURAGE, and always optimistic. She is winning the battle - and although feels rough at times, she continues to take her mother to the doctor, buy their groceries, tend to the wants and needs they require. She never asks for thanks - she does it out of respect...... 
I ENVY her positive outlook, ADMIRE all the things she does and will continue to do, am GRATEFUL for all she has done for me - whether it be help in some way, or simply a shoulder to cry on. And  yes, I do love my friend Sandra.

No comments:

Post a Comment