Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The State of Things

Taking a step back to look at life as a whole, I paused. Contemplating the value of things... what was once deemed as a necessity of life, now seems a luxury. What can one sacrifice to make life simpler once again. I work, to maintain. While others are content to get by, I want more than only existence. 
I know many people who draw disability - not because of injury or illness - but just to keep from having to work. Certain ones are not physically or mentally unable  - they just chose to manipulate the system. And - that angers me. They get by - and that tis all they care to do. The get assistance from the government in every way possible. Disability, Medicaid, food stamps, etc. I am not saying that all who draw are not deserving - but in my opinion if one person does without a real need - its one too many. The assistance was not set up to enable people to get by without working simply because they choose not to. It was set up to assist those in real need. 
Case in point: I personally know one woman who draws a check because of her nerves. 'She can not stand having someone yell at her'  Excuse me - I do not feel like that is a reason to draw a check. She is perfectly able to clean houses for people for cash..... that way she does not have to  turn it in and risk loosing her check. This same woman gets more in food stamps than I can budget for groceries and I work 40 hours a week, every week. 
Another person I know draws a check because he is an alcoholic. Understandable? Sure. But - after his check started he stopped drinking, bought a truck and sleeps in everyday until he wake up. No need to set a clock - he does not have to be anywhere at any certain time. Did his check stop and he get a job? No.  He also does 'cash jobs' when he needs extra money. I know of one woman who has 4 children by 4 different men. When child services took the first child away due to neglect, and her assistance was stopped, did she get a job and attempt to get her life in order? No. She had another child. That was her answer. The government paid for all four of her children. None of which she has now. All have either been adopted or are in foster care. She is now working and paying child support. It was court mandated.  It was either get a job and pay - or go to jail.  My list could go on and on - but my temper can not. I resent the fact that my elected officials allow this to happen, over and over, in every city, town and state of this nation. At one point in my life I was raising my son alone.... and instead of applying for food stamps or assistance from the government, my answer was to get another job. At one period I worked 2 jobs Monday through Friday, and I worked weekends at my third job. I was allowed to take my son with me on 2 of these. ( One was cleaning the shop where I worked my regular 40 hours, the other was selling t-shirts at ball games, harvest fairs etc.) What has happened to the morality of people today? Is it me or does it seem more and more folks want to take all the government  or anyone else will give? My mother used to tell us we were not owed a living - we had to earn our keep. But today, it seems more and more are getting money for doing nothing. Can there really be that many folks today that are so lazy  (or as my Mother used to say 'just sorry') that they won't work. How can things be this wrong? How can certain people be rewarded for being liars and cheats?  Somehow.... I do not think our founding fathers meant for it to be like this. But, I can not figure out where we went wrong. Any suggestions?

3 comments:

  1. Personally, I think they need to pass a drug test before ever receiving benefits and periodically pass random drug tests to continue assistance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You asked....."How can certain people be rewarded for being liars and cheats?"
    Are you talking about politicians? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree 100% with the drug testing! How do we get it started?!
    Also - I also agree.... we are paying politicians to do absolutely NOTHING!

    ReplyDelete