Tuesday, May 26, 2009

¿Qué Pasa?

Or - What's Happening?

Something about the way things are today just does not seem right. Every citizen has the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. So where does the Politically Correct Police come in? You should not pray at a ball game..... it might offend someone. You should not say Merry Christmas, instead use Happy Holidays.... because it might offend someone - or some group - which would impede on their right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.  But what about MY rights?

Its now politically correct for signs, billboards, even commercials to be bi-lingual. I am offended by this. I am an American citizen, born and raised in Georgia. But, due to the influx of immigrants, both legal and illegal, I am forced to to read Spanish. That just does not seem right. If I was living in another country, would they allow me to communicate in only my native tongue? I think not. No special treatment for me. Why should these immigrants receive special treatment? They are allowed to bring their culture, their lifestyles to the US, and not conform to the American way of life. Why should we be forced to conform to theirs?  In their native country, it is acceptable to raise livestock in their yard. In the US, the folks who do that live on a farm. Not inside a sub-division where the average home is priced over 100 thousand dollars. Yet, they are allowed to get by with it, because they are immigrants.

Don't get me wrong - I come from a family of immigrants. My ancestors came to this country through Ellis Island, looking for a better life. They conformed to the American way of life. They learned and spoke English.

I have heard there is a debate going on within our government about making English the official language!. A DEBATE!!! ( those politically correct police are at it again!) Ballots are offered in many different dialects.... Why? What's next? Our traffic signs changed to bi-lingual? If you live and work here, and you can not speak or read the language. You need to learn. Period.

I have a sister-in-law who immigrated from the Philippines. There are no special signs or billboards or instructions printed for her. She conformed. She speaks English. Very well I might add! 

Elementary schools are forcing children to learn Spanish so that they can communicate with their classmates. Shouldn't it be the other way around?

A friend of mine, lived many years in Spain and Germany while she was growing up. Guess what! She conformed and learned Spanish and German so that she could communicate!! 

Another friend informed me today that the term Hispanic is not politically correct.  The proper term is Latino. But to quote him "I don't give a Mierda".

Many immigrants today do not wish to learn English. And why should they - everywhere you look everything is bi-lingual. If it were only in English, they would have no choice but to learn.  Personally, living, working in the US, I think one should have to.

2 comments:

  1. At the main Immigration office in Atlanta, all the signs and announcements are in English and Spanish. The funny thing.......none of the immigrations sitting around waiting to be interviewed appear to be Hispanic (or Latino). Most there are from Asia, Africa, Europe or the Caribbean. There doesn't seem to be any reason for the signs to be bilingual.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I concur with your website blog on immigrants, language, etc., ( Hey, eh, immigrant (how do yoI say it in Spanish?) speak to me - IN ENGLISH

    PS - i write my blog every day IN ENGLISH, SO sENOR, or sENOITA or whatever, learn ENGLISH!
    Nice to m,eet you Theresa

    ReplyDelete