Friday, July 3, 2009

A few of my favorite things....

Before I begin I want to take a moment to wish all a Happy Independence Day! 

I was thinking earlier this morning about a few of the best memories I have and the things I like best about the Fourth Of July. 

First and foremost: Fireworks. Lighting up the night sky with colors..... the ahhhs and ooos and the ones that take your breath away.

Home made ice cream. Not just any kind.... the one my Mom and Aunt Gwendolyn made as I was growing up. I remember Aunt Gwen always complaining to my Mom that she was using way to many eggs. "Its going to be so rich you won't be able to eat it. I  use half that many." ( Mother always used 6 eggs, and I swear - it was always the best! ) The biggest decision they had to make was what fruit to add. And the anticipation of tasting the sweet perfection... while the men took turns cranking the handle. Peach was my preference as a child - but there was strawberry, or banana as well. ( For those of you unaware - I HATE BANANAS! ) As an adult, (no comment from family about me being an adult please - I know I am still a kid at heart but that does not count here) my favorite is plain old vanilla. I am gaining a few pound just thinking about it.

Friends and family. All gathering together to have hamburgers on the grill. Everyone who comes brings something along with their appetites: ice, sliced veggies, buns, baked beans....

Take time to reflect on some of your childhood memories, and enjoy your day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment