Friday, August 28, 2009

Therapy Dog Training Begins



Therapy Dog training with Lulu began on a recent visit to my in-laws, John and Virginia Bates. Mr. Bates, as you can see in the picture below, is confined to a hospital bed. Lulu was very quiet and allowed both meet and greet with her. They were amazed at well well she was behaved in a strange place, as was I.


She place her head on the edge of the bed and allowed Mr. Bates to pet and stroke her, which thrilled us both. The sound of the bed rising up and down ( which is a habit now for Mr. Bates, simply because that is about all he is able to do for himself ) puzzled her at first, but it did not frighten her in the slightest. Mrs. Bates was amazed at how comfortable Lulu was greeting them for the first time. Even if she does not become a Therapy Dog, she will visit her 'Maw Maw' and 'Paw Paw'. They love when one of their 'granddogs' comes for a visit. They were as excited to see her, and I was to show her off.

She gave me no trouble getting on and off the elevator, and enjoyed the attention she received from other residents. The live in an assisted care facility, and prior permission for Lulu's visit was not necessary. Once we have our certification, we will seek to brighten the days of many more of the elderly and bed ridden.

Just a few more steps I will need to test and or work on, before the test in September. Walking through a crowd, has yet to be tried, and every day we work on the 'wait' command, which involves her waiting in one place, while I walk away. She is a Momma's girl, and this one is taking time. She is fine with everyone, but when I leave, she wants to go with me.

Below is a photo I made of her while at the Bates'. She was fine to lie down and stay, until I left the apartment. then, instead of lying there waiting, she went to the door and sat there until my return. But - like I stated, we are working on it. Wish us luck!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment